[egenix-users] Problem building egenix-mx-commercial

Charles Bearden Charles.F.Bearden at uth.tmc.edu
Tue Apr 27 18:50:32 CEST 2004

I'm trying to build the commercial package for RH9 and iODBC 3.51.2
following the instructions at

  http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html#Installation

.  I cd to the mx/ODBC/iODBC subdirectory, boot the Makefile system, and
edit Setup.  All I do in Setup is to uncomment lines 406-409 and modify
the paths to the header files & library.  When I type 'make', I get the
following:

gcc -pthread -fPIC -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-I/usr/local/include/python2.3 -I/usr/local/include/python2.3 @DEFS@
-DMAL_DEBUG -DWANT_UNICODE_SUPPORT -DMISSING_SETUP -c ././mxSQLCodes.c
-o ./mxSQLCodes.o
gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations make: ***
[mxSQLCodes.o] Error 1

The default gcc is 3.2.2, but 2.96 is also available, and I get the same
message when I alter the Makefile to make 'CC = gcc296'.

I'm not using RPMs because we weren't able to install them (some strange
dependency issue, and I don't know anything about how this box was set
up), so this was my other option.

Any hints to this C-ignorant user appreciated :)

Thanks,

Chuck Bearden
Systems Analyst III
School of Health Information Sciences