[egenix-users] Possible bug: DateTime.localtime() crash with the year 2065 (Wi n32 platform)

Alleman, Lowell lalleman at mfps.com
Mon Apr 26 21:23:58 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I recently came across a problem with the mx.DateTime module.  I simplified
my problem down to the following:

PythonWin 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32.
>>> import mx.DateTime
>>> dt = mx.DateTime.DateTime(2065)
>>> dt.localtime()

    <--- Interpreter crashes here --->

The crash manager in Windows indicates that the problem occurred in
mxdatetime.pyd.  I have tried this on three different machines.

1.   Windows XP, Python 2.3.3, with PythonWin build 200, and mx.DateTime
version 2.0.3.
2.   Windows 2000, Active Python 2.3.2 build 232, and mx.DateTime 2.0.3
3.   SuSE Linux 9.0, "Python 2.3+", and mx.DateTime 2.0.3.  (I'm not exactly
sure what "Python 2.3+" means.  The rpm calls itself "python-2.3-52")

The interrupter crashed on both of the Windows machines.  My Linux machine
did not crash, it simply said that the
mx.DateTime.DateTime(2065).localtime() was really 1901, which is clearly
incorrect, but better than crashing, I guess.  It would appear that
localtime() is an OS-dependant thing.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask questions about bugs.  I
know that there is a commercial support area, but I not currently a customer
and mx.DateTime is freely available.  (FYI:  I am considering the purchase
of the mxODBC module).  Anyways, I can hack around this bug myself for the
time being, but I figured that this may be something that the authors would
like to fix, assuming that what I found is really a bug.  A interpreter
crash is never fun.

Thanks,

- Lowell