[egenix-users] Installation woes

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Apr 1 21:14:57 CEST 2004

todd wrote:
> First my configuration:
>   Windows XP
>   Zope 2.7.0
>   Zope installation directory is C:\Program Files\Zope-2.7.0
>   Instance directory is C:\Zope
>
> Zope on my system is a fresh install, not an upgrade. I didn't install the
> instance as a service; I use runzope.bat
>
> The files I downloaded:
>  Zope-2.7.0-win32.exe (from zope.org)
>  egenix-mxodbc-zopeda-1.0.8.win32-py2.3.zip (from egenix)
>
> The first problem I ran into is conflicting installation instructions.
>
> http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC-Zope-DA.html says this:
> 3.  Unzip the distribution in the Zope Instance's home directory (i.e. where
> you find the Zope's lib/, bin/, etc. directories).
>
> The email sent with my commercial license says this:
> * Unzip the binary distribution of the package in the Zope
>  installation's home directory (ie. where you find the Zope's
>  lib/, bin/, etc. directories).
>
> Ok, where should I put it? The installation directory or the instance
> directory? Why do the instructions call these "home" directories? home
> directories, under both UNIX and Windows, refer to user directories, not
> product directories.

Before Zope 2.7 there was no distinction between the Zope
installation directory and the instance directory, which is
why the instructions use those terms for both.

Zope 2.7 introduced this distinction and that's where the confusion
is coming from:

The current version 1.0.8 of the eGenix Zope DA for Python 2.3
(which Zope 2.7 requires) still comes with the directory layout
that was used all the years before 2.7 and which many of our
users are still very comfortable with.

We will provide new versions of the Zope DA which will support
the installation into the Zope instance directory directly, but
there is no time frame for those versions yet.

That said, the existing eGenix Zope DA 1.0.8 *does* work
just fine with Zope 2.7 provided you unzip the distribution
into Zope 2.7 *installation* directory, e.g. C:\Zope and
then copy the license files into the directory C:\Zope\mx\ODBC.

Sorry for the confusion,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 01 2004)
Python UK 2004, Oxford, UK                                  14 days left
EuroPython 2004, Göteborg, Sweden                           66 days left

eGenix Support Team                                 support at egenix.com
                        http://www.egenix.com/