[egenix-users] Copy ing rows from tables...

Jerry Westrick Jerry at Westrick.Com
Fri Oct 10 11:11:02 CEST 2003

Dear sirs.

I have the situation where I "replicate" a database table.  That is I
have a complete copy of a (MS SQL) database table stored locally (in
Postgress).  The system has been setup so that I can identify the
modified rows. Theese I need to retrieve and store (either insert or
update) into my postgress table.

I access both databases via your zope mxodbc product.

My question is, which is the easiest way to retrive a row from
the MS-SQL connection, and inseert/update itno the postgress connection.

THe standard zope solution, requires the listing of all field names in
both the update and insert statements.  This is terribly maintenance
prone.  Since the 2 tables are identical (except my version has an
additional field which is updated via trigger), I suspect that there
must be a lower level routines, which i can use which takes advantage
of the fact that the 2 tables are similarly structured.

Thanking you in advance for your support.

Jerry Westrick.