[egenix-users] mxDateTime is broke in FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT..

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Mar 26 11:48:49 CET 2003

Mezz bsdforums.org wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to port Straw (python script), but it doesn't work. I
>>> turned everything on the debug mode and found the problem. It was
>>> mxDateTime and I have no idea how to solve this problem.
>>>
>>> Please, check this url for the more details.
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=50262 (shorter detail will
>>> be in the bottom of this email.)
>>>
>>> The version is 2.0.3, but I tried 2.0.4 and still have the same result.
>>>
>>> FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT has GCC 3.2.2..
>>>
>>> =============================
>
> <snip>
>
>>> =============================
>>>
>>> So, if you guys know any of hint to fix it, feel free to send me a
>>> patch or update the tarball to download egenix-mx-base. Unless, you
>>> have any of plan to update the next version soon, hope you will fix
>>> this one too.
>>

>> It is already fixed in our current beta. The fix is easy:
>> simply remove all of the above lines. Note that the problem
>> only occurs in Python debug builds. Standard builds work just
>> fine.
>
> Remove what? Will this effect on mxDateTime?

Remove the lines with _Py_ForgetReference(). Some compilers
also have problems with the free lists; you can disable those
by editing the top of mxDateTime.c:

/* Define these to have the module use free lists (saves malloc calls) */
#define MXDATETIME_FREELIST
#define MXDATETIMEDELTA_FREELIST

> I get the same error with or without Python debug, btw. It's reason why
> I turn Python debug to find why Straw crashes; it leads me to find
> mxDateTime has a problem. At least, it has been fixed in the CVS version
> as you have stated. :-)
 >
> Umm, do you have any idea when the next version will be release? If you
> have no idea, then can you show me what to patch? So, I can add this
> patch in the ports tree for a while, until the next version is releasing.

We planned to release 2.1 in March, but as so often, other things
got in the way. The new time frame is end of April and definitely
in time for EuroPython 2003 :-)

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 26 2003)