[egenix-users] Has the gmtoffset return value changed?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Sun Oct 27 14:25:01 CET 2002

I have a little module "sunriseset.py" that calculates (strangely
enough) sun rise and set times, and which was working fine with older
versions of mxDateTime.  However, this morning I received a bug report
that it's no longer working.  As far as I know there have been no
changes to the module itself, and prior to this (when I checked it many
months ago) its self-check passed fine.  That would have been with an
earlier mxDateTime release.

I have, of course, since updated mxDateTime when I updated mxTextTools.
 The thing is, now the reported values from gmtoffset appear to have
been reversed in sign (that is, what was 5h is now -5h).  Obviously the
sign is always just an arbitrary choice (hence the need to declare which
direction increases/decreases in specifications of time systems), but
I'm surprised that it would have changed sign between releases of the
mxDateTime library.

Anyway, I can work around this if I know which versions of mxDateTime
return positive, and which negative, values  for the same time-zones
(i.e. when the switch occurs).  Marc-André, anyone?

Enjoy,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder