[egenix-users] New user woes, Oracle/IIS/ASP connection

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Thu Oct 17 19:29:41 CEST 2002

David A. Fuess wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> I am new to mxODBC (in the trial period to see if it will work for us).
> The need is to connect to an Oracle instance on a Sun computer from a
> web server running IIS 5.0 under Win2k. I have installed and tested the
> Oracle Client tools and updated the Oracle ODBC driver to the latest
> version. I installed mxODBC under Python 2.2.1  and tested successfully
> using a locally run script in Pythonwin. So, at least at some level, I
> know all of the interfaces work. The problem arises when I attempt to
> run the connection from a CGI under IIS 5.0 (I am actually running it in
> an ASP with language=Python). The error I get is:
>
> OperationalError: ('IM003',160,'Specified driver could not be loaded due
> to system error 5', 6038)
>
> It appears that mx.ODBC.Windows is loading properly and the error is
> generating from mx.ODBC.Windows.DriverConnect(). Other mx.<tools> appear
> to load properly (although I have not checked them all).
>
> Suggestions?

Google gives these answers:

* http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q299454

   (for ODBC on Windows in general, see:
    http://www.kbalertz.com/allKbs.aspx?tec=99)

* http://sage.is.makingithappen.co.uk/tech/posts/148.html

* http://www.orafaq.com/msgboard/webserver/messages/1681.htm

It sounds like a permissions problem on the server.

CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH