[egenix-users] Solaris Compile problem

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Tue Oct 15 22:08:57 CEST 2002

S. Hoon Yoon wrote:
> Hi:
>
>   I am trying to install mxDateTime package on Solaris and getting a
> strange message that I do not understand. Any thoughts will be very
> much appreciated.

Funny, this is the second time I'm getting this kind of bug report
on Solaris.

The solution is simple:

* The extensions don't compile on Solaris. What can I do ?

   If you are using gcc to compile the extensions, then a likely cause
   is that the compiler is picking up non-gcc compatible include files.

   E.g. on some Solaris installations, the /usr/include directory
   contains a file stdarg.h which the gcc compiler normally provides in
   its own compiler specific include directories. Since the distutils
   setup adds /usr/include to the standard lookup path for include
   files, gcc picks up this incompatbile file and generates an error.

   The work-around is easy: edit mxSetup.py and remove the
   '/usr/include' entry from the tuple INCLPATH.

Now, since this seems to be a common "bug", could you
give me the value of sys.platform for Solaris. I'll then
add a test to mxSetup.py which prevents adding /usr/include
to the include path.

>   TIA,
>
> Hoon,
>  { 14 } -->  uname -a
> SunOS njtra79 5.8 Generic_108528-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100
> --------------Here's the error message--------
> bash-2.03$ python setup.py install
> running install
> running build
> running mx_autoconf
> macros to define: []
> macros to undefine: []
> updated build_ext with autoconf setup
> running build_ext
>
> building extension "mx.DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime" (required)
> building 'mx.DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime' extension
> gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC
> -Imx/DateTime/mxDateTime -I/home/nite/Python/include/python2.2
> -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include -c
> mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.c -o
> build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.2/mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.o
> In file included from mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mx.h:51,
>                  from mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.c:41:
> mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h: In function `mxDebugPrintf':
> mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h:192: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared
> (first use in this function)
> mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h:192: (Each undeclared identifier is
> reported only once
> mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h:192: for each function it appears
> in.)
> mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxstdlib.h:150: warning: `args' might be used
> uninitialized in this function

CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH