[egenix-users] Install conflict, egenixs-mx-commercial-2.0.5 RPM on RH 7.2

Malcolm Heath malcolm at collegenet.com
Tue Nov 19 10:02:39 CET 2002

Hello all,

I'm attempting to install the RPM
egenix-mx-commercial-2.0.5-py2.2_1.i386.rpm on a server here.  The
server is a RedHat 7.2 machine, fully updated, with python2.2 installed
via RPM.  The command

"rpm -ivh egenix-mx-commercial-2.0.5-py2.2_1.i386.rpm"

fails with the error:

error: failed dependencies:
        libiodbc.so.2 is needed by egenix-mx-commercial-2.0.5-py2.2_1
        libodbc.so.1 is needed by egenix-mx-commercial-2.0.5-py2.2_1

So, obviously, I'm missing some libraries.  I then found and installed
unixODBC-devel-2.0.7-3.i386.rpm and unixODBC-2.0.7-3.i386.rpm, which
satisfied the first dependency.  Some further exploration of the egenix
site told me that I also needed libraries from iodbc.org.

I downloaded, and attempted to install libiodbc-3.0.6-2.i386-glibc21.rpm
but that failed, conflicting with files from unixODBC-2.0.7-3.i386.rpm.

I'm not wondering how to fix this, particularly. What I am wondering, as
a prospective customer of this software, is why the RPM requires both
unixODBC and iodbc libraries?  Are they actually required?

We run a large shop here, and managing custom software is a big, and
often frustrating part of that job.  Having to download, compile or
install, and keep track of yet another package that my developers don't
actually need to use is wasteful of my time, and unnecessary.

So, what I'd like to know is if simply doing a --force is going to get
me over this hurdle, without leaving me with a non-function, or unstable
install.

Sincerely,

Malcolm Heath