[egenix-users] The mxDateTime rpms are non-compliant with the Linux Standards Base

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Sat Aug 31 19:11:02 CEST 2002

I don't know about the distutils default.  Perhaps all other Python rpm
packagers change from the default to /usr/share during rpm packaging.

I have Python 1.5 and 2.1, wxPython, and (I think) some other packages
installed on my system.  All of them automatically install in /usr/ahare.
To the best of my knowledge that is where Python packagers are supposed to
put their packages.  These packages are packaged in compliance with the
Linux Standards Base specification, which (I understand) may have clarified
or modified for Linux the definition of what is supposed to go into
/usr/share versus /usr/local.  (Essentially, all downloaded packages or
those supplied with distributions go into /usr/share.  I don't recall the
purpose assigned to /usr/local, except that it may be reserved for uniquely
local packages developed by the system administrator.)

mxDateTime is the only Python package installed on my system that I had to
fix because it installed in /usr/local.  (I fixed it by putting a link in
the appropriate site-packages directory in the /usr/share tree.)

Stan Klein