[egenix-users] The mxDateTime rpms are non-compliant with the Linux Standards Base

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Sat Aug 31 23:34:54 CEST 2002

Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> When I installed the rpm for mxDateTime, the package was installed in
> /usr/local.  I'm running Red Hat 7.2, which complies with the Linux
> Standards Base (LSB).  The LSB requires that packages similar to mxDateTime
> install in /usr/share.
>
> When I tried to run GNU Enterprise, which uses mxDateTime, I got error
> messages until I doscovered the problem and made a link from the directory
> under /usr/local to the equivalent directory under /usr/share where Python
> was looking for the files.
>
> I would like to suggest that the packager either make the rpms compliant
> with the LSB or include a README telling the user of the need to make the
> link.  I suggest making LSB compliance the preferred approach because most
> of the major distributions that use rpms are also LSB compliant.

The egenix-mx-*.rpm archives are built using Python's distutils
package and this defaults to installing into the Python
installation in the /usr/local tree (this is also the
default location of the RPMs of Python itself).

AFAIK, you can relocate the packages to other locations
using RPM command line options.

I'm not really sure why you'd want to install them
to /usr/share, though, because the packages depend on
the Python installation and include binary shared libs
which are certainly not machine independent (like the
files you'd normalls install in /usr/share). Perhaps
you have something else in mind here ?

Thanks,
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH