[egenix-users] The mxDateTime rpms are non-compliant with the Linux Standards Base

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Mon Aug 19 14:17:10 CEST 2002

When I installed the rpm for mxDateTime, the package was installed in
/usr/local.  I'm running Red Hat 7.2, which complies with the Linux
Standards Base (LSB).  The LSB requires that packages similar to mxDateTime
install in /usr/share.

When I tried to run GNU Enterprise, which uses mxDateTime, I got error
messages until I doscovered the problem and made a link from the directory
under /usr/local to the equivalent directory under /usr/share where Python
was looking for the files.

I would like to suggest that the packager either make the rpms compliant
with the LSB or include a README telling the user of the need to make the
link.  I suggest making LSB compliance the preferred approach because most
of the major distributions that use rpms are also LSB compliant.

Thanks.

Stan Klein