[egenix-users] Windows debug build of mxDateTime

Geoffrey Talvola gtalvola at nameconnector.com
Fri Aug 9 15:56:46 CEST 2002

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Geoffrey Talvola wrote:
> > M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >
> >>python setup.py install --debug
> >>
> >>should get you there, but you are on your own then... I only
> >>rarely build a debug version myself, so it's not clear whether
> >>that setup works or not (esp. because memory allocation is different
> >>in debug builds and I know of at least one bug which will be
> >>fixed in 2.1.0).
> >

> > Thanks.  Actually, that didn't work (it didn't recognize the --debug
> > option), but
> >
> > 	python setup.py build --debug
> >
> > did work and built the dlls I need.
>
> Funny, that's what I tested (since I didn't want to overwrite
> my installation with a debug build). It's strange how distutils
> sometimes support command line argument syndication and sometimes
> doesn't.

After running the above build command both with and without the --debug
flag, then "python setup.py install" installed both the release _and_ debug
.pyd's to the correct destination.  There's no problem of overwriting the
installation with a debug build because the filenames are different;
mxDateTime_d.pyd gets used if you're running python_d.exe and mxDateTime.pyd
gets used if you're running python.exe.  They live happily side by side.

This is exactly what I wanted, so I'm happy :-)

- Geoff