[egenix-users] question

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Fri Apr 5 23:21:29 CEST 2002

Prathibha Ram wrote:

> Hi Mark:
> I was already using the mx extension version(prior to 2.0.3) with jython1.5
> and it was fine. All I did was import the mx.DateTime package in my code.
> Even now, the old version of the mx Extension package works fine with jython
> 2.1 except that it gives the copy_reg error first time I invoke jython.

You could probably use the Python code in the mxDateTime package,
but you wouldn't have access to the two types defined in the
C extension.

Now, someone wrote a Python emulation for those two which now
lives in mxDateTime/mxDateTime_Python.py but that file is not
being actively maintained.

> Do
> you think if I go in for commercial support you would be able to configure
> your mx Extension for jython2.1?

Probably not all of them since some use third party C libs
which are hard to rewrite in Python or Java.

For mxDateTime, Brian Zimmer is working on an Java version.

With funding, I could also bring the Python emulation of the
mxDateTime extension back up-to-date and reenable it (see
mxDateTime/__init__.py if you want to give it try with the
old emulation).

> The reason I am asking is that otherwise, I
> will have to shelve all the extension packages that I have been using till
> now. I might have to start using the time module in jython and write some py
> files of my own for date manipulations.

We'll figure out a way to let you continue your usage of mxDateTime
in Jython :-)

CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH