[eGenix.com] ANN: eGenix mxODBC 3.3.4 - Python ODBC Database Interface

egenix-announcements at egenix.com egenix-announcements at egenix.com
Wed Aug 12 13:03:30 CEST 2015

ANNOUNCING

                         eGenix.com mxODBC

                   Python ODBC Database Interface

                           Version 3.3.4

    mxODBC is our commercially supported Python extension providing
         ODBC database connectivity to Python applications
            on Windows, Mac OS X, Unix and BSD platforms
           with many advanced Python DB-API extensions and
                 full support of stored procedures

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-3.3.4-GA.html

INTRODUCTION

mxODBC provides an easy-to-use, high-performance, reliable and robust
Python interface to ODBC compatible databases such as MS SQL Server,
Oracle Database, IBM DB2, Informix and Netezza, SAP Sybase ASE and
Sybase Anywhere, Teradata, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and
many more:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

The "eGenix mxODBC - Python ODBC Database Interface" product is a
commercial extension to our open-source eGenix mx Base Distribution:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/

NEWS

The 3.3.4 release of our mxODBC is a patch level release of our
popular Python ODBC Interface for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and
FreeBSD. It includes these enhancements and fixes:

Driver Compatibility
--------------------

MS SQL Server

 * Added a work-around for MS SQL Server Native Client to be able to
   support VARCHAR/VARBINARY(MAX) columns when using the Native Client
   with direct execution mode or Python type binding mode. Thanks to
   ZeOmega for reporting this.

 * Added new helper singleton BinaryNull to allow binding a NULL to a
   VARBINARY column with SQL Server in direct execution mode or Python
   type binding mode (as used for FreeTDS). Using the usual None
   doesn't work in those cases, since SQL Server does not accept a
   VARCHAR data type as input for VARBINARY, except by using an
   explicit "CAST(? AS VARBINARY)". mxODBC binds None as VARCHAR for
   best compatibility, when not getting any type hints from the ODBC
   driver.

Misc:

 * The various __version__ attributes in mxODBC are now automatically
   updated during release. In the past, we sometimes missed updating a
   few places when cutting releases.

For the full set of changes please check the mxODBC change log:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/changelog.html

FEATURES

mxODBC 3.3 was released on 2014-04-08. Please see the full
announcement for highlights of the 3.3 release:

    http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-3.3.0-GA.html

For the full set of features mxODBC has to offer, please see:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#Features

EDITIONS

mxODBC is available in these two editions:

 * The Professional Edition, which gives full access to all mxODBC features.

 * The Product Development Edition, which allows including mxODBC in
   applications you develop.

For a complete overview of the available editions, please see the
product page:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#mxODBCEditions

DOWNLOADS

The download archives and instructions for installing the package can
be found at:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

In order to use the eGenix mxODBC package you will first need to
install the eGenix mx Base package:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/

You can also simply use:

    pip install egenix-mxodbc

and then get evaluation licenses from our website to try mxODBC:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#Evaluation

UPGRADING

Users are encouraged to upgrade to this latest mxODBC release to
benefit from the new features and updated ODBC driver support.

We have taken special care not to introduce backwards incompatible
changes, making the upgrade experience as smooth as possible.

Customers who have purchased mxODBC 3.3 licenses can continue to use
their licenses with this patch level release.

For upgrade purchases, we will give out 20% discount coupons going
from mxODBC 2.x to 3.3 and 50% coupons for upgrades from mxODBC 3.x to
3.3. Please contact the eGenix.com Sales Team with your existing
license serials for details for an upgrade discount coupon.

If you want to try the new release before purchase, you can request
30-day evaluation licenses by visiting our web-site

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#Evaluation

or writing to sales at egenix.com, stating your name (or the name of the
company) and the number of eval licenses that you need.

SUPPORT

Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

INFORMATION

About Python (http://www.python.org/):

    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
    which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
    clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
    application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for today's IT challenges.

About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

    eGenix is a database focused software project, consulting and
    product company delivering expert services and professional
    quality products for companies, Python users and developers.

Enjoy,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 12 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/