[eGenix.com] ANN: eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime 1.2.0

egenix-announcements at egenix.com egenix-announcements at egenix.com
Tue Apr 30 11:41:20 CEST 2013

ANNOUNCING

                 eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime

                            Version 1.2.0

         An easy-to-use single file relocatable Python run-time -
           available for Windows, Mac OS X and Unix platforms

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-PyRun-1.2.0.html

INTRODUCTION

Our new eGenix PyRun combines a Python interpreter with an almost
complete Python standard library into a single easy-to-use executable,
that does not require a system wide installation and is fully
relocatable.

eGenix PyRun's executable only needs 11MB, but still supports most
Python application and scripts - and it can be further compressed to
just 3-4MB using upx.

Compared to a regular Python installation of typically 100MB on disk,
this makes eGenix PyRun ideal for applications and scripts that need
to be distributed to many target machines, client installations or
customers.

It makes "installing" Python on a Unix based system as simple as
copying a single file.

We have been using the product internally in our mxODBC Connect Server
since 2008 with great success and have now extracted it into a
stand-alone open-source product.

We provide both the source archive to build your own eGenix PyRun, as
well as pre-compiled binaries for Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X, as 32-
and 64-bit versions.

Please see the product page for more details:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

NEWS

This is a new minor release of eGenix PyRun, which contains a few
important fixes and enhancement based on the user feedback in recent
months.

New Features
------------

 * Upgraded eGenix PyRun to work with and use Python 2.7.4 per
   default.

 * Changed the pyrun default to run in non-optimized mode and added
   the -O command line option to reenable it.

   Previous versions of eGenix PyRun used to default to optimized
   mode, which prevented running tests using e.g. assert with it. The
   stdlib itself is still frozen in optimized mode.

 * Added support for directly running Python directories and ZIP files
   with __main__ module. Only works with the Python 2.7 variant.

 * eGenix PyRun now honors symlinks, so symlinked copies of PyRun can
   be used to save disk space. The installations will still work as
   expected, i.e. independent of each other.

 * Added new pyrun_release config variable to the pyrun_config
   module. This allows checking the pyrun release version.

 * Added PyRun release version to the banner and -V output.

 * Added support for the Python -d command line option to pyrun.

 * Added a fix to allow PyRun to compile the sqlite module on Mac OS X
   10.4. See http://bugs.python.org/issue17857 for details.

 * Much enhanced documentation, which now also explains the internals
   and highlights Python modules/packages that are not included in
   eGenix PyRun.

Other Changes
-------------

 * Removed the compiler package from being compiled into PyRun. If
   needed, it can be installed separately. Note that the compiler
   package needs the parser module which is not compiled into PyRun
   either, but is still available as extension module.

 * Removed the Tkinter Python module from being compiled into
   PyRun. If needed, it can be installed separately. Note that the
   Tkinter module needs the _tkinter C module, which is not compiled
   into PyRun either, but is still available as extension module.

 * Fixed sys.argv when using interactive mode to default to [''].

 * All eGenix PyRun distribution packages are now GPG signed with our
   release key and come with MD5 and SHA1 hashes to check for download
   corruption.

install-pyrun Quick Installation Enhancements

Since version 1.1.0, eGenix PyRun includes a shell script called
install-pyrun, which greatly simplifies installation of eGenix
PyRun. It works much like the virtualenv shell script used for
creating new virtual environments (except that there's nothing virtual
about PyRun environments).

    https://downloads.egenix.com/python/install-pyrun

With the script, an eGenix PyRun installation is as simple as running:

    ./install-pyrun targetdir

We have enhanced this script somewhat since the last release and also
added it to the source code distribution of eGenix PyRun:

 * Added new options --distribute-distribution and --pip-distribution
   to be able to use local distribution files for distribute and pip.

 * Added --debug option to enable debug output.

 * install-pyrun will now try uname -m in case uname -p doesn't return
   useful information about the platform.

 * install-pyrun will now use HTTPS connections for all tools (pyrun,
   distribute and pip). SSL certificate checking is enabled per
   default, but can be turned off using the new
   --disable-certificate-checks option.

 * Added automatic support for wget to install-pyrun. It is being used
   if curl is not found on the system.

 * Added new option --platform-list to print a list of available
   platform strings.

Presentation at EuroPython 2012
-------------------------------

Marc-André Lemburg, CEO of eGenix, gave a presentation about eGenix
PyRun at EuroPython 2012 last year. The talk video as well as the
slides are available on our website:

    http://www.egenix.com/library/presentations/EuroPython2012-eGenix-PyRun/

LICENSE

eGenix PyRun is distributed under the eGenix.com Public License 1.1.0
which is an Open Source license similar to the Python license. You can
use eGenix PyRun in both commercial and non-commercial settings
without fee or charge.

Please see our license page for more details:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/license.html

The package comes with full source code.

DOWNLOADS

The download archives and instructions for installing eGenix PyRun can
be found at:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

As always, we are providing pre-built binaries for all common
platforms: Windows 32/64-bit, Linux 32/64-bit, FreeBSD 32/64-bit, Mac
OS X 32/64-bit. Source code archives are available for installation on
other platforms, such as Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc.

SUPPORT

Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

MORE INFORMATION

For more information about eGenix PyRun, licensing and download
instructions, please visit our web-site:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

About Python (http://www.python.org/):

    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
    which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
    clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
    application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for today's IT challenges.

About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

    eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
    specializing in expert project services and professional quality
    products for companies, Python users and developers.

Enjoy,

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 30 2013)
2013-04-17: Released eGenix mx Base 3.2.6 ...     http://egenix.com/go43

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/