[egenix-users] Re: mx.DateTime 3.2.x and numpy

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Dec 21 22:39:02 CET 2011

V wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg <mal at ...> writes:
>> We'll have to install numpy and check the problem. We may well have
>> to patch mxDateTime to make it work with numpy, if this uses its
>> own coercion mechanism.
>>

> Marc-Andre,
>
> I ran into the very same problem the other day. I have also found the root of
> the problem. It lies in file mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.c, function
> mxDateTime_RichCompare, specifically this little bit of code:
>
>     else if (PyFloat_Compatible(right)) {
> 		/* DateTime op Number -- compare ticks */
> 		double t1 = PyFloat_AsDouble(right);
> 		double t0 = mxDateTime_AsTicksWithOffset(self, 0, -1);
>
> 		if ((t0 == -1.0 || t1 == -1.0) && PyErr_Occurred())
> 			goto onError;
>
> 		cmp = (t0 < t1) ? -1 : (t0 > t1) ? 1 : 0;
> 	}
>
> Note here that if the thing on the left side of a comparison is an mx DateTime,
> and the thing on the right side of the comparison is a numpy array, this if
> clause will trigger (because numpy.ndarray implements a __float__ method), and
> the first thing it will attempt to do is to cast the array to a float. Now, if
> this array contains more than one element, precisely the exception that
> Christian observes will occur.
>
>     TypeError: only length-1 arrays can be converted to Python scalars
>
> I suppose it's somewhat of a numpy fault in that perhaps they shouldn't
> implement conversion from array to float, if it doesn't work for arrays with
> more than one element, but that behavior has been in numpy for ages, whereas I
> believe the PyFloat_Compatible check is a semi-new addition to mx DateTime.

Not really, but it's possible that the new per operation
coercion code does things in a different order.

Do you get the same exception when swapping the two arguments ? ...

 t = delta_t + t0

instead of

 t = t0 + delta_t

> Hope this helps, and hope you guys can find a good resolution to this. For now,
> I have to patch my local version of mx to work around this issue.

Thank you for the helpful insight.

I guess we will either have to add a special case for numpy arrays
or fallback to try other methods in case conversion to a float
fails.

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 21 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/