[egenix-users] [mxTidy/MacOSX] _FreeOutputStream error

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Jul 28 00:10:12 CEST 2007

On 2007-07-19 21:15, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>> I compiled egenix-experimental 3.0.0 under MacOSX using a custom Python
>> 2.4.4 interpreter. Running a Zope instance using mx.Tidy fails badly:
>>
>> ", line 18.2-18.23
>>    ZopeXMLConfigurationError: File
>> "/Users/ajung_data/sandboxes/plone3.0/Products/SmartPrintNG/configure.zcml",
>> line 22.2-26.4
>>    ImportError: Failure linking new module:
>> /opt/python-2.4.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mx/Tidy/mxTidy/mxTidy.so:
>> Symbol not found: _FreeOutputStream
>>  Referenced from:
>> /opt/python-2.4.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mx/Tidy/mxTidy/mxTidy.so
>>  Expected in: dynamic lookup
>>
>> Any idea?
>
> It appears as if the linking against the libtidy.a lib doesn't work
> on Mac OS X - these symbols are normally resolved by linking against
> the libtidy.a static lib which is created in the build process and
> thus don't appear as external symbols in mxTidy.so.

It turns out that on the system we use for compiling mxTidy,
there was already a dynamic lib with the name libtidy.A.dylib

Since the linker prefers dynamic linking over static linking,
it linked against this dynamic lib rather than the static lib
compiled in the build process.

Changing the name of the static lib solves the problem.

We'll issue a 3.0.1 release and also announce it this time to the
wider public :-)

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 27 2007)