[egenix-users] mxodbc_zope_da_1.0.9 problem: Unable to connect with Sybase via ODBC

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 6 18:27:37 CEST 2005

RJ Juneau wrote:
> Still on eval for the product.
>
> I cannot get a stable connection to Sybase via the iODBC drivers.
>
> - The Sybase ODBC connection - including a query - have been verified at
> the iODBC level.
> - The setup is already working well for ODBC connection to MySQL.
>
> Symptoms include:
>
> - If I click on "Open Connection", it still comes back with "Connection
> Closed" when I go to a ZSQL method
> - Using 'Connect on Demand' is not working either.
> - Clicking "Open Connection" gives me the following error:
>
>     Connection string: DSN=lixbox_sybase;
>     UID=sa;
>     PWD=XXXXXXX

Try writing the connection string on one line and without
whitespace. ODBC drivers sometimes have problems with this.

>     Connection pool entry: 0
>     Error message: ('08004', 0, '[OpenLink][ODBC][Driver]Connection
> rejected by data source', 7952)

This is a generic error that relates to authentication
or firewall problems. It is possible that turning on
ODBC tracing the ODBC manager will give more clues as
to the real cause of the problem.

> The odbc.ini definition for DSN "lixbox_sybase" is as follows:
>
> [lixbox_sybase]
> JetFix             = No
> NoRowSetSizeLimit  = No
> Description        = Test connection to listbox
> Options            = LIXBOX
> DSQUERY            = SQLSERVER
> TDSHOST            = lixbox
> TDSPORT            = 5000
> TDSVER             = 5.0
> SQLSERVER_CATALOG  = N
> CURSOR_SENSITIVITY = LOW
> UserName           = sa
> Password        = XXXXXXXX
> ServerType         = Sybase 10/11/12
> Driver             = /opt/openlink/lib/sql_mt_lt.so
> Database           = pubs2
> ReadOnly           = no
> NoAutoCommit       = No
> NoLoginBox         = No
> FetchBufferSize    = 60
>

> Other relevant data:
> - Connecting via OpenLink's iODBC
> - Zope 2.7.6-final
> - Python 2.3.4
> - Connection to Sybase has been successfully tested with iODBC,
> including issuing a query
> - Zope/mxodbc_zope_da/iODBC successfully tested for MySQL ODBC
> connection
>

> RJ Juneau
> Chief Technology Officer
> Maxxian Integration Inc.
> 155 Westhampton Drive
> Thornhill, Ontario
> Canada L4J 7X2
> E-mail: rj at maxxian.com
> Phone: +1 905 482 9429
> Cell: +1 416 897 6682
> Toll free: +1 866 758 9161
> Fax: +1 647 722 2038

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 06 2005)