[egenix-users] sql server right truncation for long column names

Joseph Kocherhans Joseph.Kocherhans at hsc.utah.edu
Fri Jun 11 16:11:36 CEST 2004

I kept getting the following error from while trying to execute a
query:

mxODBC.Warning: ('01004', 0, '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]String
data, right truncation', 2394)

and after adding each column in the query one by one, it looks like I
get the error only when the name of the column is over 38 chars. Can
anyone confirm this? If so is there a chance of getting it changed?
Unfortunately I'm not in charge of the db structure or I'd just rename
the offending columns.

SQL Server 2000 SP3
egenix-mx-commercial-2.0.6.win32-py2.3.exe
python 2.3.3

Thanks,
Joseph