[egenix-users] BeeDict setting keys/comparison to shelve

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Thu Aug 8 22:26:18 CEST 2002

John.N.1 at bwc.state.oh.us wrote:
> Does anyone have comments on using Bdict instead of a standard shelf or
> bsddb ver3?
>
> Also, on Win2k, for me to change a dictionary element w/Bdict, I need to
> first delete the key and then set it's value.
> Should that be the case?
>
> When I run:
>
>     d = mx.BeeBase.BeeDict.BeeDict('c:/tmp/test-BeeDict2')
>     print 'original',d['Marc9']
>     d['Marc9']='betty1'
>     d.commit()
>     print 'dict change\t',d.changed(),d['Marc9']
>
>     del(d['Marc9'])
>     d.commit()
>     d['Marc9']='betty2'
>     print 'del dict change\t',d.changed(),d['Marc9']
>     d.close()
>

> produces:
>
> original Sveta
> dict change     0 Sveta
> del dict change 1 betty2

FYI, with egenix-mx-base 2.1.0b4 I get:

import mx.BeeBase.BeeDict

def test():
     d = mx.BeeBase.BeeDict.BeeDict('testjohn.dat')
     d['Marc9']='Sveta'
     d.commit()
     d.close()

     d = mx.BeeBase.BeeDict.BeeDict('testjohn.dat')
     print 'original',d['Marc9']
     d['Marc9']='betty1'
     d.commit()
     print 'dict change\t',d.changed(),d['Marc9']

     del(d['Marc9'])
     d.commit()
     d['Marc9']='betty2'
     print 'del dict change\t',d.changed(),d['Marc9']
     d.close()

test()

original Sveta
dict change     0 betty1
del dict change 1 betty2

Note that the 0 on the first change line indicates that
there are no changes in the cache (because you have called
.commit() on the line before). The second change line
still has the change in the cache, so 1 is returned and
the .close() will roll back the transaction.

HTH,
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH